Entrepreneur for the Lifestyle

Inspiration for this post is from "The Quiet Radicalism of Starting a 'Lifestyle Business'" article, https://www.inc.com/jessica-stillman/why-you-should-wear-phrase-lifestyle-business-as-a-badge-of-honor.html.

I was a little surprised with our class's response when James asked us, "why do you want to be entrepreneurs? Are you drawn to it because of the lifestyle or because of a problem you want to solve?" My viewpoint on entrepreneurship is for it to be very time-consuming and stressful, especially in the initial start-up stages. So, I was intrigued when most of my classmates who want to be entrepreneurs said they were attracted to it because of the lifestyle. For me, I'm drawn to the occupation because I want to solve a problem. Providing a solution to this problem would make what I think to be the demanding lifestyle of entrepreneurship worthwhile. For someone to sign up for it for fun doesn't make much sense to me.

But then comes the idea of a lifestyle business. Entrepreneurship doesn't have to consume all hours of your day, and it also doesn't mean you want to start a Fortune 500 company. Most of my classmates said they want the freedom that comes with being their own boss, and with this comes the freedom to choose their own hours. This is a vital aspect for those who have goals to start a family, for example, as having a flexible schedule to fit with their future children's plans would be ideal. Perhaps this career path can be more simplistic than I had initially thought.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tell Better Stories